Psychology Department Curriculum Intent:
The department follows AQA specifications 7181 (AS-Level) and 7182 (A-Level) Psychology.
Courses based on these specifications encourage students to:
- Develop essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of the subject and how they relate to each other.
- Develop and demonstrate a deep appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of scientific methods.
- Develop competence and confidence in a variety of practical, mathematical and problem-solving skills.
- Develop their interest in and enthusiasm for the subject, including developing an interest in further study and careers associated with the subject.
- Understand how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society.
Our curriculum is ambitious and designed to give all students the knowledge and cultural capital they need to succeed in life.
Our curriculum is coherently planned and sequenced towards cumulatively sufficient knowledge and skills for future learning and employment.
All topics are built upon previous content in each topic, particularly Approaches in Psychology, Issues and Debates in Psychology and Research Methods which are referred to and taught throughout the course. The order in which the topics are delivered to students helps with recall of knowledge but also development of many practical skills needed for the world of work, including application of theory. All students will sit assessments at the end of each topic to address misconceptions and facilitate appropriate teacher interventions whilst also focusing on previously taught content.
Knowledge is tested formatively in class through questioning, quizzes, etc. At the end of each topic, students are required to complete an end of unit test.
In year 13, time is dedicated to revisiting year one topics and students are required to attempt 16 mark exam questions in timed conditions for revision purposes.
Get KS5 A-level revision help here
Psychology Curriculum Map