Physical Education Department Curriculum Intent
- To allow students to experience an extensive range of activities enabling them to develop their own interests in PE and Sport and equip them with the skills and techniques to perform at their full potential
- To provide pupils with a high quality experience of PE which encourages them towards leading lifelong healthy, active lifestyles
- To enable all students whatever their circumstances or ability, to take part in and enjoy PE and sport
- To provide pupils with opportunities to experience competitive PE and sport in both individual and team sports
- To offer a full and varied programmes of extra-curricular sporting activities which motivates and engages pupils towards school representation
All students follow National Curriculum PE as a compulsory subject throughout Years 7 to 11 at Sacred Heart. At Key Stage 3, students are assessed on their ability to develop their performance through the number of activities that allow the pupil to perform to their best. The following activities are followed at KS3; Rugby Union, Netball, Table Tennis, Football, Basketball, Badminton, Swimming, Gymnastics, Athletics, Fitness, and Striking and Fielding games such as Cricket, and Rounders.
At Key Stage 4, our students are directed towards sporting specialisms and interests so that levels of motivation remain high. A number of students are also able to utilise the Gym during lessons and this provides a natural pathway to become members of a gym, thus following a healthy, active lifestyle. In Key Stage 4, pupils may opt to study GCSE Physical Education.The Physical Education department runs a full and varied programme of curriculum enhancement activities, which are available to all students across the school. We enjoy lots of success at various levels of competition in numerous sporting activities and many of our students progress to higher levels of participation through school and club participation. Clubs run from 3.15-4.30 every evening and during selected lunchtimes.
Physical Education Curriculum Map