Links to Career Websites
CAREERS INFORMATION WEB SITES
- 1 GENERAL - Register with and use two or three of the following Careers Information sites. Find a wide range of information about careers and courses that interest you:
• www.sae.edu (music/sound engineering courses
- 2 SUMMER SCHOOLS - (to attend FREE one-day taster courses)
• www.smallpeicetrust.co.uk - management/engineering - forms on-line
• firstname.lastname@example.org - Accountancy (on-line forms)
NB - a teacher or career adviser's name is sometimes required for Summer Schools and Kaplan
In Year 11/12, 13/14 you can apply on-line for taster courses in London at www.london.ac/tastercourses and can choose 3 courses - try different subject areas.
Google other universities throughout the UK, Europe and Internationally and you may find leaflets, prospectuses in your school/college or local library.
• www.ucas.com - has information about all university degree courses around UK - do the Stamford Test in Year 12 to give you an
idea of the course you should apply for. Funding information is also available here and on
• www.direct.gov.uk/studentfinance the main Government site
• bestcourse4me.com for university courses and funding information
• www.tsr.co.uk – students give information on life and study at university
- 4 GAP YEAR JOBS - VOLUNTARY - usually unpaid or travel expenses
• www.vso.org.uk - www.gapyear.com - www.timebank.co.uk - www.filmworkshop.com - www.do-it.org - www.indeed.co.uk www.neuvoo.co.uk
GAP YEAR JOBS - PAID
• www.etrust.org – (was yini -A paid year in industry (Maths/D&T/Sciences and predicted high grade A Levels)
• www.kaplanapprenticeships.co.uk - also offer Scholarships to earn while you learn as an Accountant then work for a business in the career area of your choice. Or apply direct to Accountancy companies – have a good CV and covering letter ready.
• Google 'Internship vacancies' to find out when KPMG, EY and other large organisations for alternatives to university and other ways to do a degree.
Kaplan also give Scholarships to pay for your studies as an Accountant then work for a business in the career area of your choice.
You could also obtain an Apprenticeship and get paid to study and work in a large Accountancy company - apply direct - have a good CV prepared.
• www.apprenticeships.org.uk - various types of apprenticeships are available - you have to keep looking on this site, sector industry sites and employment/training agencies/providers. NB - Check out exact training level, college and employer location - some offer accommodation support. Also, make sure you have an up to-date and well-presented 2- page CV
March 2016 the following organisations are advertising for 18 year olds at:
IT Apprenticeships with Foundation Degree - www.accenture.com/UK apprentices –and Level 4 BTEC Diploma in Professional Competence for IT and Telecoms Professionals (QCF)
– apply at for real pay, real Higher Apprenticeship in IT, Software, Web & Telecoms Prof.
Engineering - www.networkrail.co.uk/apprenticeship and www.tfl.gov.uk/apprenticeships
Journalism and Media (also offer WEX) - www.gorkanajobs.co.uk
Investment Banking – (Finance, Advertising, Marketing and PR) - www.2020.org.uk
NB - Check out exact training level, funding, college and employer location – some offer accommodation support if you are prepared to move away from home. Make sure you have an up to-date, well presented 2- page CV if required or complete form on-line.
• www.cstt.org.uk - used to offer Surveying Apprenticeships - apply on line
• www.rics.org/careers Ask for a DVD - These Surveying courses can be done all round the world as qualifications are same and accepted everywhere - you can choose from Building, Quantity (costing projects) Land and Artefact (antiques and arts).
- 6 THOUGHT ABOUT STUDYING ABROAD?
Check out www.studentworld.com for events and opportunities to study abroad. In Holland and other European countries, courses are often taught in ENGLISH. Fees can be cheaper and travel costs not as expensive as you might think.
Also, you might get on to a Medicine Dentistry Programmes** more easily in another country.
Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, New Zealand or USA (Fulbright Commission) also offer world-wide recognised courses - NB - check out length of courses and costs each year, as well as cost of living and accommodation. If you can live with family/friends it is not so costly!
• www.thestudentworld.com - have regular Student World Fairs in London